What is Ramadan:
9th Month of Islamic Calendar or the Hijri Calendar. Islamic Month starts and ends by the citation of the crescent. It may be 29 or 30 Days. Max-30 Days. It is the Sacred month in which Muslims around the globe fast which is obligatory in this month.
“A great blessed month…”
Prophet Muhammad’s (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) address on the eve of Ramadan:
- People, a great blessed month has come upon you.
- Allah has made fasting during it an obligation, and steadfastly observing its nights in worship a voluntary act.
- Whoever undertakes an act of obedience to Allah during this month with a righteous deed, it is as if he has performed an obligatory act at other times, and whoever performs an obligatory act during it is as one who performed seventy obligations at other times.
- It is the month of patience, and the reward for patience is Paradise.
- It is the month of goodwill, during which provisions are multiplied.
What happened in Ramadan:
What is Fasting:
Fasting Means abstinence
What is Taqwa:
It is the state of heart that motivates virtuous conduct and prevents evil action.
Does and Don’ts during Fasting:
Stop eating, drinking and sexual activity from dawn until dusk.
Who are exempted from fasting:
Minors, Aged, Sick, Traveler, Pregnant women, Suckling women, Menstruating women Mentally retarded – should fast equivalent number of days afterwards.
- Minors, Aged, – Should donate a meal to the needy.
- Sick, Traveler, Pregnant women, Suckling women, Menstruating women Mentally retarded – should fast equivalent number of days afterwards.
Benefits of Fasting in Islam:
- Character building.
- Afterlife Accountability.
- Purification of soul.
You can read also: Ramadan 2020: Festival of Ramadan and the purpose of Ramadan.
You can read also: What happened in Ramadan and Why it is so important for Muslims?
You can read also: Sex activity during Ramadan for Muslim married couple.
Sex activity during Ramadan for married couple:
Married Muslims can have sex after breaking the fast till seher i.e from sunset till sunrise. The ayat also defines the limit of eating in morning at dawn.
Ayat in Quran, “Permitted for you is intercourse with your wives on the night of the fast. They are a garment for you, and you are a garment for them. God knows that you used to betray yourselves, but He turned to you and pardoned you. So, approach them now, and seek what God has ordained for you, and eat and drink until the white streak of dawn can be distinguished from the black streak. Then complete the fast until nightfall. But do not approach them while you are in retreat at the mosques. These are the limits of God, so do not come near them. God thus clarifies His revelations to the people, that they may attain piety.” (Al- Baqarah verse 187)
Also Muslims sit in itikaaf during last 10 days of Ramadan. Then also Muslims cannot have sex.
Reward of fasting: it is main reason for important for Muslims:
Prophet Muhammad’s (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) proclaimed the said:
- “Every action of the son of Adam is given manifold reward, each good deed receiving ten times it’s like, up to seven hundred times.”
The role of fasting according to Dr Jack Goldstein:
- It gives vital organs a complete rest, it promotes elimination of metabolic wastes.
- It allows the body to adjust and normalize its biochemistry and also its secretions.
- It lets the body break down and absorb swellings, deposits, diseased tissues, and abnormal growth.
Fasting is good for the human body:
- It restores a youthful condition to the cells and tissues.
- It increases the powers of digestion and assimilation (absorption and utilization of food into the system).
- It permits the conservation and re-routing of energy; It clears and strengthens the mind.
Fasting in the month of Ramadan is Obligatory for Muslims. 29 or 30 days depending upon witness of the crescent. Quran has been Revealed to Prophet Mohammad peace be upon him. The purpose of fasting is to produce Piety. Refrain from eating and drinking and sexual activities from Dawn to Dusk.